The K-12 Medford Public Schools Mathematics Curriculum reflects and supports the vision of the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics and the Massachusetts State Curriculum Framework for Mathematics (2017), the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, and the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System. The mathematics programs adopted by the district are based on the district’s K-12 philosophy that:
- Math class is about learning and not rote memorization
- Mistakes are valuable and give a reason to reflect
- Questions and their timing are important to have deeper learning
- Depth is achieved through interesting and engaging mathematical problems that encourage connections, conversations and modeling.
While the mathematics content standards change from one grade to the other, the mathematics practice standards stay the same for grades K -12 and are as follows:
- make sense of problems and persevere in solving them
- reason abstractly and quantitatively
- construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others
- model with mathematics
- use appropriate tools strategically
- attend to precision
- look for and make use of structure
- look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
DESE Curriculum Frameworks
The Mathematics Department at MHS/MVTHS offers a core mathematics program for grade 9 -12 students that is rigorous in content, high in expectations and accessible to all students. All students are required to take and pass four years of mathematics to include a course beyond Algebra II or Integrated Mathematics III. The recommended course sequence is Algebra I/Geometry/Algebra II OR Integrated Mathematics I/Integrated Mathematics II/Integrated Mathematics III followed by a 5-credit mathematics elective. Students who successfully complete Algebra I in grade eight can elect to take Geometry in grade nine. Additionally, students have the opportunity to accelerate in mathematics at grade ten. Computer programming courses offered in the mathematics department can count toward the 4-year requirement in the senior year with permission from the Curriculum Director and Director of Guidance. The department also offers support mini-courses. The department offers the following main courses: